Resident Handbook
A short history of the city of Clinton.
Being a Good Neighbor
Find information on Clinton City services.
Clinton City Hall Directory
Elected Officials
Clinton City Government and structure
Life in Clinton
Parks & Recreation Information
Public Schools
Being a Good Neighbor

As a new resident, there are a number of city regulations you will want to be aware of. We hope the following suggestions are helpful to you. If you have questions about city ordinances, please contact the city offices and we will be happy to help you.

Zoning: Your new home is located in a "zone" which allows a variety of land uses compatible with your neighborhood. For example, the number and types of pets or farm animals which are allowed, where sheds or garages may be constructed on your property, and whether or not a home business is allowed are all regulated by the Zoning Ordinance. The Community Development Department can tell you what zone your property is in and what is allowed within that zone. It is also helpful to know the zoning for properties around you.

House Numbers: It is extremely important for you to have 3" high house numbers in a color which contrasts with the main color of your house. These numbers should be in a highly visible area so that your home can be easily identified and located by emergency services.

Mail Boxes: Your mail box should be 36" to 42" above the top of the curb to the bottom of the box. The front of the box should be a minimum of 1" behind the back of the curb. Address letters should be on the box. (mail boxes are not allowed in cul-de-sacs.)

Fences: Before you install a fence around your yard, please stop by the city offices and get a compliance permit. Fences must be installed at least one foot inside the sidewalk and there are height restrictions for front and side yards. A compliance permit is issued at no charge and may save you from having to alter the fence at a later date because it violates the city ordinances.

Maintenance of Property: Maintaining your property and respecting the property of others is naturally the responsibility of every citizen. Any material which will harbor insects, rodents, or present a fire hazard should be disposed of properly. All weeds should be pulled, sprayed, or cut regularly. Disused or abandoned vehicles cannot be stored on your property. Vehicles must be parked on hard surface if you live in a subdivision.

Curbs, Gutters and Sidewalks: Each household should help maintain the city curb, gutter and sidewalk in front of the property. Spraying for weeds will prevent them from growing through cracks in the cement. Keeping the gutter clear of debris will allow for good water flow in front of your home. The city recently acquired a street sweeper to help in this effort, but if you notice debris accumulating in the gutter, please remove it. The water meter lids and fire hydrants must also be maintained free of obstruction so that they can be accessed easily.

Trees: Some are suitable for planting near sidewalks or curbs and others have roots that will leave the sidewalk and displace the curb. Please call the Community Development Department of the city and obtain a compliance permit before planting trees in the park strip. All trees should be trimmed so that they do not hang lower than eight feet over the sidewalk or twelve feet over the street.

Snow Removal: During winter months, the city crews work many long, hard hours to keep the city streets safe and passable. During heavy storms, the main streets are cleared first, followed by subdivision streets, and then cul-de-sacs. Citizens can help by keeping sidewalks, fire hydrants, and mail box accesses free of snow. Snow should not be thrown into the street; it should be placed on the property. To facilitate snow removal, there is no parking allowed on city streets between midnight and 7:00 a.m. from November 15th through March 15th of each year. It is helpful to have all vehicles removed from the street anytime there is a snowstorm so that the plows can do a thorough job.

Building and Compliance Permits: The city requires permits for installation of fences, concrete flatwork such as driveways and patios, sheds smaller than 200 square feet, and trees which are planted within the park strip or corner lot areas. The permit is issued at no charge to make sure improvements are installed properly in accordance with city ordinances.

Building permits are required for any modification, addition, finishing of basement, or remodeling which will alter the existing structure, HVAC, plumbing or electrical system.

As a homeowner, you may work on your own residence or hire a licensed contractor to do the work. In either case, you must obtain a building permit and the work must comply with Uniform Building Code standards.

Business Licenses: If you wish to have a business or home occupation, you must apply for a business license through the Community Development Department. Any commercial activity that provides economic profit, benefit or gain is considered a business and must be licensed.

Copyright 2006 by Clinton City   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement   Report Website Issues